Nobody likes being told that they have bad breath. While a breath mint or a piece of gum might help fix the smell for a bit, those quick treatments are short-lived. Sooner rather than later, your bad breath in Phoenix will return. If you’ve noticed other people shying away from you during conversations, keep reading—this post will teach you everything you need to know about bad breath and what you can do to fix it:
- Gum disease: A constant nasty taste in your mouth or bad breath that won’t go away after you brush and use mouthwash could be a sign that you have gum disease. Gum disease is caused by a bacteria called plaque that sticks to the bottoms of your teeth near your gums. Regular brushing won’t get rid of it, either. To remove plaque, you need to floss your teeth at least once a day. The next time your dentist tells you to floss, don’t ignore him!
- Foods: Garlic doesn’t just ward off vampires—it keeps everyone in your vicinity away! Garlic, onions, coffee and a long list of other foods can cause your breath to smell unpleasant. If you enjoy these foods, we recommend brushing, flossing and using mouthwash after you eat.
- Tobacco: It’s no surprise that smoking causes a number of health issues, and many of these problems have to do with your mouth. Smoking stains your teeth and hurts your tongue and gums, which all combine to lead to bad breath.
I have bad breath. What can I do?
Regardless of why your breath is bad, there are a few things you can do to take care of it. The tips below are sure to help clean up your foul-smelling breath and leave your mouth smelling fresher than ever:
- Visit the dentist: Regular checkups and cleanings can prevent bad breath and even detect more severe issues. If it’s been a while since you’ve seen a dentist, consider making an appointment with us!
- Brush and floss: In between cleanings and dentist appointments, it’s crucial that you brush and floss daily. Be sure that you’re brushing, flossing and using mouthwash as soon as you wake up in the morning and right before you go to bed.
- Tongue care: Your teeth and gums aren’t the only things that need attention—your tongue is also a hotbed for all sorts of bacteria. You can get rid of this nasty-smelling bacteria by brushing your tongue or using a scraper to remove that white junk from your tongue.
- Stop using tobacco: Regardless of how often you smoke or use chewing tobacco, it’s imperative that you quit. Not only will your overall health improve, but you will also notice you have fresher breath!
Stop living with bad breath in Phoenix and set up an appointment at Modern Smiles Family Dentistry! In addition to fixing your bad breath, Dr. Fairchild can fix your smile and improve your overall oral health. Reach out today to schedule a visit—we look forward to working with you!
Categorised in: Bad Breath